Last summer I started my series, the “world travel of sushi” with the first two creations of mine: “Sushi Italiano Verde” and “Sushi Italiano Rosso“. These two recipes are perfect for the warm days in the sunny summer: Mild sweet and sour sushi rice, Parma ham, mozzarella cheese and sun-dried tomatoes with homemade green or red pesto. It sounds absolutely like summer, doesn’t it?
Today I am showing you a new version for comforting yourselves in the cold and grey winter days: Sushi Español! Do you know those delicious Spanish tapas with dates that are wrapped in Serrano ham and then grilled in the oven? They are absolutely my favorite tapas. There was not a single time that I was sitting in a tapas bar without ordering some pieces of these yummy rolls.
My new sushi creation is based on this tasty combination of dates and Serrano ham. The slightly sweet and sour taste of the sushi rice is the perfect flavor carrier for this wonderful Spanish duo.
During the preparation I could not decide whether I prefer the traditional Japanese style of sushi with sea weed leaves or those tapas-like rolls. The first kind is supposed to be served as a cold dish, the second one will be grilled in the oven shortly before serving. I love acturally both of them. Now for the cold winter days, might the second variant be your favorite?
Ingredients ( 24 pieces) :
For the sushi rice :
300g sushi rice (Asia shop)
1 piece Kunbu (seaweed, Asia shop)
4 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
24 dried dates
24 slices of Serrano ham
24 toothpicks (soak in water)
For the dip :
Japanese soy sauce for sushi (Asia shop)
- Add rice vinegar, sugar and salt to a pot and heat it with low heat until the sugar dissolves. Take the vinegar mixture from the heat and chill.
- Wash the rice until the water is clear. Drain the water and let the rice rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the rice with the water to a pot, add Kunbu, cook with lid over medium heat. When the water boils, cook with intense heat for further 5 minutes.
- Then reduce the heat and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and leave it in covered pot for a few minutes.
- Remove Kunbu .
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and work it carefully in. Chill the rice.
- Fill the sushi rice with dates and form rolls.
- Put a rice roll on each slice of serrano ham and roll up until it is completely covered by the ham.
- Secure with a toothpick which has been soaked in water beforehand.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees, place the sushi Español on a baking tray covered with baking paper and bake for about 10-15 minutes.
Buen apetito! 😀