Paella is one of my favorite food. Maybe it is because it’s a rice dish. My Chinese stomach simply loves all these delicious rice dishes, especially when they are cooked with a delicious sauce together. 🙂
Rice is not just a side dish for us Chinese. It is an important part of a good meal. An elaborate meal with a variety of tempting dishes would not be complete without a properly well-cooked rice.
In Asia there are countless varieties of rice. The best known ones are the jasmine rice, basmati rice and sushi rice. In addition to these “ordinary” kinds, there are some other popular varieties such as black rice, red rice and glutinous rice, etc. Among these rice varieties the glutinous rice, which is also called sticky rice, is definitely one of my favorites.
Sticky rice is often used for sweets in China and other Asian countries. I prefer this rice with rich starch yet for savory food. One of my favorite dishes with sticky rice is the zongzi – a filled dumpling made of glutinous rice with a spicy taste, wrapped in bamboo leaves and cooked in water. Zongzi is the traditional food for the Chinese Dragon Boat Festival.
For my sticky rice I decided for the steaming method in the bamboo steaming basket. This way, the rice grains remain single and do not stick together to a lump. After steaming, I roast the rice briefly along with seafood in a spicy sauce. This is my version of paella, Chinese style! 😉
Ingredients (4 servings) :
400g glutinous rice
1 clove of garlic
4 dried shiitake mushrooms (about 1 hour soaked in water)
250g mixed seafood
10 king prawns
2 tablespoons chicken stock
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce (Asia shop)
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (Asia shop)
1/2 tbsp char siu sauce (Asia shop)
1 tablespoon cooking wine
2 tablespoons canola oil
Bamboo – steaming basket
peanuts and parsley for garnishing
- Wash glutinous rice thoroughly, soak in water overnight.
- Oil the bamboo steam basket, fill it with sticky rice. Put the basket on a water-filled pot, cook sticky rice over medium heat for about 40 minutes.
- Cut shiitake mushrooms and chorizo into small cubes.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, char siu sauce and pepper into a bowl and mix together.
- Cut onions and garlic into small cubes. In a pan, heat the canola oil and fry the onions and garlic until the onions become glassy. Sauté chorizo and shiitake mushrooms, deglaze with cooking wine.
- Add seafood and king prawns, cook for about 2 minutes. Add the sauce mixture and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Put the steamed glutinous rice with the chicken stock together in the pan, mix well until the rice, seafood and sauce are well blended.
- The Chinese Paella is done! Now garnish the rice back in the bamboo steam basket with peanuts and parsley.