Brioche, my favorite white bread from France plus the fantastic black sesame paste on top! This is better than a great dream! 🙂
I love to use black sesame for sweets and desserts (check my last recipe Black Sesame Panna Cotta). And this paste is like paradise! I got to know it during my last trip to Japan. My dear Japanese friend Keiko who lives in Yokohama prepared a great breakfast for my husband and me during our stay with her and her two lovely daughters.
There were tasty butter toasts, milk, eggs and fruits like lots of families in the world like to eat for breakfast. But what was this? A small jar full of black creamy stuff! Of course I did know black sesame, but not as a jam for breakfast! I opened the jar and this heaven-like aroma of roasted black sesame was raising into my nose. I couldn’t wait one second to spoon a big portion of that lovely pitch black paste from the glass and spread it on my crunchy toast. O la la… I was in heaven, at that moment, for sure! 😉
The following days we kept searching plenty of Japanese supermarkets to find this wonderful tasty paste. As Keiko’s lovely mum heard about my new passion, she bought two glasses and gave them to me as a gift. She won my heart immediately! As you can see, the best way to a foodies’ heart is always good food. 😉
Now about the brioche: I travel quite often to France since it is not far away from the German region where I live. Every time when I am in France again, there are two kinds of bread which I can not miss for our meals: the brioche for the breakfast and the baguette for lunch. This is really true: You can not find better brioche and baguette anywhere else in the world!
This airy consistency, this buttery and mild sweet taste! What else do you need for a great breakfast?
Oh yes, you need one more thing: the black sesame paste! Here you go, the perfect breakfast to start a wonderful day! 😀
For the Brioche
250g bread flour
10g fresh yeast
30g milk for melting the yeast
25g milk for melting the sugar and salt
For the black sesame Paste:
100g black sesame
1 Tbsp Coconut oil (optional)
- Roast the sesames in a pan on a medium flame until becoming fragrant (ca. 5 minutes), constantly panning, then chill.
- Grind the roasted sesame in a food processor until the sesame oil is released (4-5 minutes). For a smooth texture add 2 tsp. coconut oil.
- Add the honey and mix well. Pour the paste in a clean glass and keep in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the dough for Brioche one day ahead: Put the yeast with the 30g milk in the mixing bowl and mix together well. Solve the sugar and salt in 25g milk. Pour the sifted flour, then the salt, sugar and milk mixture on the flour. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add 80g eggs at first. Work the dough for 3-5 minutes at slow speed.
- Add the rest of the eggs bit by bit. Keep kneading at slow speed for ca. 5 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic now.
- Soften the butter until its consistency is about the same as the dough. Add the butter to the dough quickly. Keep kneading until the dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl. Place the dough in a plastic wrap. Put the dough in a warm place (25 – 30 degrees celsius) for ca. 1h and let it rise.
- Push down the dough by folding it several times over itself. Then place the dough immediately in the refrigerator (5 degrees celsius).
- At the second day: Heat the oven to 180-200 degrees celsius, butter the brioche mold. Take the dough out of refrigerator and let it relax in the mold for ca. 30 Minutes. Glaze the dough with egg wash. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes (big size, for small size ca. 30 minutes).
- Serve the brioche with your homemade black sesame paste.
No better start for a new day! 😀