A few days ago it was my hubby’s birthday. This cake was for him. My husband loves Bohemian apple cake. At first, I wanted to bake a traditional one. Then I saw this cider in our cellar, which we brought from French Alsace a week ago. Apple cake and cider, that would be a great couple! My husband loves cider anyway. In addition I decided to go for a crispier dough than the one of the Bohemian apple cake.
For the topping on the cake, I caramelized some wonderful walnuts, which I got from a farmer friend from their own walnut trees.
When I prepared the cake, I could almost hear my hubby’s cheer. I knew that this cake would make him happy. 😀
And yes, I will not forget his wide grin on his face. 😉
For the pastry:
For the caramelized walnuts:
100g walnuts (roasted in the frying pan)
For the topping:
2 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Juice of one lemon
15ml cider from Brittany (semi-dry)
1 tbsp brown sugar
120g butter (room temperature)
- Put all the ingredients for the dough in the food processor and mix. Let the dough rest for at least 1 hour (or even better for a whole day) in the refrigerator.
- Heat the sugar and butter to 120 degrees. Take the pan off the heat, then mix in the walnuts. Stir and let the sugar harden. Put the pan back on the heat until the walnuts become golden brown. Spread on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet and let cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Peel two apples, remove seeds, cut into small cubes. In a saucepan cook with 2 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon until you get a thick cream. Add cider and cook briefly. Strain the puree through a sieve.
- Grease a cake pan (26cm diameter) and spread the dough in it. Cover the dough with the apple cider cream.
- Peel, seed and quarter the remaining apples. Cut the quarters into slices. Immediately mix with the lemon juice. Cover the cake with apple slices tightly in a circle. Sprinkle brown sugar on the cake. Spread the caramelized walnuts on it. Melt the butter in small cubes, spread on the cake.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.