After my Chocolate Sichuan Pepper Macarons were so successful, I discovered the great fondness for these lovely small treats. The shells with a decent taste that melts on the tongue, define the soft texture of these wonderful beauties. On the other hand the rather stronger filling determines the accent of the taste of the Macarons.
Today I have a fruity version for you. Since I’m a big fan of passion fruit and appreciate its lovely sour taste especially, I decided to go for the passion fruit macarons this time. These sweet and slightly sour Macarons are currently my absolute favorites for the wonderfully sunny days. Further more, their bright orange color is perfect for the easter holidays! :-D
For the macaron shells:
140g egg white
70g caster sugar
230g icing sugar
120g ground almonds (in the chopper again chop finely)
4 drops of yellow food coloring
For the filling:
300ml passion fruit juice
200g white chocolate in good quality
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Mix almonds and icing sugar and put through a fine sieve.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt and 50g sugar till very stiff while adding the remaining sugar to it.
- Once the egg white is beaten stiff, blend the sifted almonds, the food coloring and icing sugar gently in. Mix gently until a smooth creamy consistency is achieved.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and inject the mixture in portions (1.5 cm diameter) with a piping bag. Tap the baking sheet on the work surface a few times lightly, so that the air can escape from the dough mixture, let it rest for about 20 minutes until the surface looks smooth and shiny. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, then open the oven door briefly to let the moisture out. Then bake for about another 10 minutes.
- For the filling: Boil the passion fruit juice until it gets reduced to a thicker consistency. Chop the chocolate and add it to a bowl. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Heat the cream in a small saucepan, remove from heat. Then add to the chocolate, mix well.
- Add the boiled and reduced passion fruit juice to the chocolate mixture and mix well. Chill the filling completely.
- Take two macaron halves. Add the filling to one half and put the other half on it.